What is a subluxation?
Spinal misalignment—known as subluxation—can develop from everyday activities. A pinched nerve or an abnormal curvature of the spine can result from any of the following:
- Falls, slips, car accidents
- Sports injuries
- Poor posture (sleep, sitting, driving, position at work, etc.)
A problem can also arise from more complex issues:
- Challenging birth process (particularly with medical intervention such as C-section or vacuum extraction)
- Lifestyle induced disease, such as obesity, that produces further physical strain.
- Any physical, mental, or chemical stress (chemical stress is caused primarily by processed foods, medications, and environmental toxins).
Not all of these root causes are avoidable, which is why the best way to care for your spine is with a disciplined, proactive approach. A healthy spine and nervous system can diminish serious injury, quicken recovery and promote healing.
A chiropractor can evaluate and adjust your spine to restore proper spinal alignment. An adjustment looks to remove the cause of your symptoms by removing pressure or damage on the nerves that are transmitting the pain or disrupting organ function. Most conditions and symptoms indicate some level of nerve involvement.
Though it is an integral part of patient care, removing pain is not a chiropractor’s chief purpose.
Wellness, true health, and optimal performance are a chiropractor’s primary goals. And those are our primary goals here at Ithaca Family Chiropractic.
The best approach to achieving that goal is to take an active role in preventing and reversing serious risk factors that contribute to the production of disease. That process begins with proper spinal adjustment.